This 2nd grade plant an animal needs & life cycles resource is a comprehensive 3-week science unit carefully designed with literally everything you need to teach NGSS and many state science standards all in one, in-depth resource.
It addresses NGSS Interdependent Relationships in Ecosystems and these standards: 2-LS2-1, 2-LS2-2, 2-LS4-1, K-2-ETS1-2, K-2-ETS1-3. It includes 17 days of high interest, hands-on science lessons:
- Plant and animal interdependence
- Plant needs and their lifecycles
- Animal needs and their life cycles
- Seed dispersal
- Pollination and pollinators
- Parts of a seed, plant, and flower
Each ready to teach lesson comes with an in-depth instructional PowerPoint, detailed, scripted lesson plans, response journal activities, differentiated quizzes, hands-on investigations and simple lab activities that are actually do-able in your classroom.
Inside each lesson are vocabulary posters, guiding questions, and learning objectives display cards as well as related videos for each lesson. Literacy and math based science centers make it easy to integrate science and reinforce the lessons during other subjects.
Assessments are easy to differentiate using one of two quiz formats: the fill in the blank option or the short, written response format. At the end of the unit students are assessed with a comprehensive unit test.
Plant and Animal Interdependence activities included:
- A complete Teacher’s Guide with a flexible 3-week Pacing Guide that can be shortened to fit your schedule
- 17 Days of detailed, scripted lesson plans.
- An in-depth Teaching PowerPoint with embedded videos
- 8 Hands-on lab investigations and STEM activities with guided lab procedures and step-by-step directions with photos.
- Essential questions posters and learning target cards
- Student science journal/workbook with follow-up practice pages for each lesson
- Science based reading passage
- Vocabulary cards + full page vocabulary posters
- Full page life cycle posters
- Quizzes for each lesson in 2 formats (short written response or fill in the blank) with answer keys
- Final unit test with optional pages for differentiation
- Answer keys
- Standards alignment pages for each lesson
- Teacher planning binder with cover and sections
- Videos for each lesson – You will need access to YouTube to view the videos.
- BONUS Bulletin board set
STEM Labs, Experiments and Investigations
Students explore the interdependence of plants and animals, plan and carry out simulations, build models, and conduct investigations in 8 high interest labs to answer these scientific questions:
- What’s Inside a Seed?
- Can Plants Grow Without Sunlight?
- How Does Water Move Through a Plant?
- What Care Do Animals Need?
- How Do Animals Move Seeds?
- Pollination Simulation: How Do Animals Help Plants Reproduce?
- Breathing Leaves: How Do Leaves Produce Oxygen?
5 Literacy and Math-Based Science Centers
- Reinforce science content as students practice these literacy & math skills:
- Cause & Effect
- Organizing Data
- Sorting and Classifying
- Applying Vocabulary
- Math word problems using science content
Please see the preview for more details and pictures of everything included.
CLICK HERE for a list of materials needed to do the investigations & STEM labs.
Additional 2nd grade science units:
Click here for all 3rd grade science units.
© Linda Kamp. This product may not be posted on a public website or shared Drive where others can download it. It may not be used on Outschool or any commercial teaching or tutoring platform. You may not translate or resell this resource.