This second grade landforms and earth changes science unit is a comprehensive 3-week resource carefully aligned to teach NGSS and many state science standards. It aligns to 2nd grade NGSS The History of Planet Earth, and these standards: DCI ESS1.C, 2-ESS2.C, 2-ESS2-2, 2-ESS2-3 2-ESS2.B, 2-ESS2-1. The unit includes 15 days of highly engaging science lessons on these topics:
- Describing Earth’s Land
- Exploring Earth’s Water
- Mapping Earth’s Land & Water
- Fast Earth Changes
- Slow Earth Changes-Weathering, Erosion, and Deposition
- Ways People Change the Earth
- Protecting Earth’s Land and Water
This unit is also available bundled with a digital version of the student activities and narrated audio lessons. Click here
Students learn features of landforms and bodies of water, explore weathering, erosion, and deposition through lab experiments, and gain understanding of the causes and effects of Earth changes and events that occur both quickly and slowly. Students explore tools people use to prevent or slow wind and water from changing the shape of the land.
They are introduced to science practices, such as planning and carrying out investigations, making observations, building and testing models, collecting and analyzing data, and designing solutions to real-world problems.
Each ready to teach lesson includes an in-depth teaching PowerPoint, detailed, scripted lesson plans, response journal activities, differentiated quizzes, hands-on investigations and simple lab activities that are actually do-able in your classroom.
The lessons also include vocabulary posters, guiding questions, and learning objectives display cards as well as related videos for each lesson. Literacy and math based science centers make it easy to integrate science and reinforce the lessons during other subjects.
Assessments are easy to differentiate using one of two quiz formats: the fill in the blank option or the short, written response format. At the end of the unit students are assessed with a comprehensive unit test.
Landforms and Earth Changes Activities
- A complete Teacher’s Guide with a 25-day Pacing Guide that can be shortened to fit your schedule
- Standards alignment pages for each lesson
- Teacher planning binder with cover and sections
- 15 Days of detailed, scripted lesson plans.
- 7 Hands-on investigations and STEM labs with guided lab procedures and step-by-step directions with photos.
- An in-depth Teaching PowerPoint with embedded videos
- Essential questions posters and learning target cards
- Student journal/workbook
- Science based reading passage
- Vocabulary cards + full page vocabulary posters
- Quizzes for each lesson in 2 formats (short written response or fill in the blank) with answer keys
- Final Unit Test & Answer Key
- Videos for each lesson – You will need access to YouTube to view the videos.
- BONUS Bulletin board set
Lab Experiments/ Investigations
Students explore weathering and erosion, make topographic maps, measure land masses, build models and simulations, and conduct investigations in the following labs:
- Name That Landform
- Building Landform Models
- Mapping a Mountain: Building Topographic Maps
- Landslide Simulation
- Preventing Wind Erosion: Design a Windbreak
- How Do Ocean Wave Affect A Shoreline? Water Erosion Lab
4 Literacy and Math-Based Science Centers
Reinforce science content as students practice these literacy & math skills:
- Sequencing Causes & Effects
- Classifying Earth Changes
- Applying Vocabulary
- Map-related Math Word Problems
*Please see the preview for details and pictures of all materials and labs included in the download.
CLICK HERE for a list of materials needed to do the investigations & labs.
Additional 2nd Grade Science Units:
2nd grade DIGITAL units with audio lessons:
Related 2nd grade science readers & passages:
Click HERE for all 3rd grade science units.
© Linda Kamp. This product may not be posted on a public website or shared Drive where others can download it. It may not be used on Outschool or any commercial teaching or tutoring platform. You may not translate or resell this resource.