This complete, hands-on science unit for teaching about the life cycle of plants centers around an engaging 9-lesson teaching Power Point using “real life” pictures your students will love. Ideal for first, second and third grade, students learning the stages of the life cycle, plant needs, parts of a plant and seed, germination, chlorophyll, photosynthesis, pollination, plant adaptations, and seed dispersal. Content-rich, this unit is loaded with over 20 activities and science experiments, writing activities, plus a culminating foldable flower booklet.
Students write about science as they complete the flower booklet that is also ideal for assessment. Inside, students complete short writing tasks by defining, labeling, and explaining the processes and stages of the life cycle after each lesson. The included reference charts and bulletin board set are designed to support students in working independently on the activities for the flower booklet.
The detailed, 12-day lesson plan can easily be shortened or extended depending on the time you have. The teaching Power Point, teacher’s notes, management tips, charts, and bulletin board give you literally everything you need to teach a highly engaging, effective, and well organized unit. I’ve designed each component to save you precious planning time and be especially helpful to new teachers.
This plant unit is aligned to Next Generation Science Standards, commonly taught state science standards and Common Core State Standards for grades 1-3. Standards alignment pages are included.
Each lesson includes introducing vocabulary turn and talk partner questions, a written activity, and a hands-on learning lab. I’ve made it easier than ever for you to plan, prep, and teach an in-depth plant unit that makes learning about the life cycle fun!
Life Cycle of Plants lesson topics:
- The Plant Life Cycle
- Germination & The Parts of a Seed
- The Parts of A Plant
- Plant Needs
- Chlorophyll: How Do Leaves Help A Plant Get Light?
- Photosynthesis: How Do Plants Make Their Own Food?
- Pollination: How Do Insects Help Plants Grow?
- Seed Dispersal: How Do Seeds Travel?
- Plant Adaptations
Plant Life Cycle Experiments & Lab Activities
- Observing the Inside of a Seed
- Germinating Seeds
- Exploring How Leaves Help a Plant Get Light
- Chlorophyll Rubbings
- Pollination Simulation
- Seed Dispersal: Building An Exploding Seed Pod
Foldable Flower Booklet Activities:
- Plant vocabulary and definitions mini-book
- How Does a Plant Make Its Own Food? writing
- Label the Parts of a Plant diagram
- Plant Life Cycle flow map
- The Job of the Roots writing activity
- The Job of a Leaf writing activity
- Interesting Plant facts
- Unit Assessment
- Seed observation journals
- 12 Large and small vocabulary word wall cards with definitions
- Life cycle cause and effect cut and paste
- 6 Graphic organizers with booklet cover: Thinking About Plants
- Life cycle bulletin board set with “real life” pictures plus diagrams and charts for:
- Stages of the life cycle
- Parts of a plant
- 10 Leaf Types picture cards
- Management tips for fitting it all in
- Flower booklet assembly directions with photos
- Media links page to videos about plants
- Book suggestions
Bulletin Board Display
Includes title lettering, directions, and example photo for creating a hallway display
This best-selling unit is one of the highlights each year for my class. I know your
class will love it too! Please download the PREVIEW to see details of everything included in this resource.
Around the Kampfire
You may also like these additional science units: