This third grade force and motion science unit is a comprehensive resource with done-for-you lesson plans to teach forces, motion, and magnets aligned to NGSS as well as many 3rd grade state science standards.
Students are engaged through 23 high-interest lessons in a vividly detailed teaching Power Point with interactive slides. During each lesson students are presented with engineering connections and real-world problems that enable them to understand how forces, motion, electricity, and magnetism are used in their everyday lives. Students gain lab experience and use science process skill as they plan and carry out investigations and experiments. Lessons are followed up by science journal activities that reinforce the lesson, turn and talk partner discussion questions, and partner activity labs.
Assessing each lesson is easily differentiated using the fill in the blank option or the short, written response format. A unit test concludes the unit.
This resource includes detailed, scripted lesson plans, focus wall guiding questions posters and objectives cards, science center extension activities, and related lesson videos and books list all in a helpful planning binder. I’ve made it easier than ever to plan and teach a highly engaging and effective science unit, stress-free!
Included in the Force and Motion Unit
- A complete Teacher’s Guide with a 31-day Pacing Guide
- Standards alignment pages with NGSS, TEKS, and CCSS for each lesson
- Detailed, scripted lesson plans. Each lesson takes 4-7 days to teach.
- 7 Hands-on, investigations with lab procedures and step-by-step direction with photos.
- 8 Partner activity labs
- 6 Chapter Teaching Power Point to guide you through 23 engaging lessons with Turn and Talk partner discussion and Independent Activity slides after each lesson.
- Science Focus Wall with essential question and learning target posters
- Student science journal booklet with activity pages to support each lesson
- Vocabulary cards + full page posters
- Quick Check/Exit Tickets in 2 formats for each lesson (short written response or fill in the blank) with answer keys
- Final Assessment & Answer Keys
- Related videos and book list
4 Literacy & Math-Based Science Centers
These games and task cards are ideal to add to your literacy centers to reinforce science content as students practice these skills:
- Cause & Effect
- Visual Literacy
- Mathematical Practice
Lesson and Lab Topics
Position and Motion
Lab: How does shape affect motion?
Patterns of Motion
Patterns Can Change
Lab: Predicting Patterns
Forces and Motion
Contact & Noncontact Forces
Chain Reactions Lab
Balanced and Unbalanced Forces
The Floating Train
Lab: How can forces hold up objects?
Determining the Strength of a Force
Lab: How can electric force levitate objects
Magnets and Magnetism
Make An Electromagnet
Lab: How can you measure the size of a magnetic field?
Lab: How can magnets sort objects by weight?
Please see the preview for details and pictures of everything included in this comprehensive forces and motion science unit.
Additional third grade science units in this series:
Click HERE for DIGITAL science units with audio lessons
Click HERE for second grade science units.