Introduce your students to engineering and the engineering design process in a creative and hands-on way! This second and third grade engineering design unit addresses NGSS engineering standards as well as science and engineering practices through a series of high-interest lessons and labs.
This 20-day unit centers around 6 engaging lessons in a content-rich teaching Power Point. The lessons are followed by journal response activities, partner discussion, and a hands-on lab for each lesson. Each lab teaches a step of the engineering design process and builds on the previous lesson. A culminating design project at the end of the unit gives students the opportunity to apply what they have learned.
Thoughtfully detailed lesson plans make planning, teaching, and assessing easy. Focus wall resources, posters, objectives cards, and more support each lesson.
- Teacher Guide & Planning Binder with Unit Overview and Pacing Guide
- 6 Detailed, step-by-step, scripted lessons
- 6-Lesson teaching Power Point with extension activity slides after each lesson.
- 6 Hands-on engineering/STEM labs
- Guiding questions, learning target posters, lesson objective cards
- Full page vocabulary posters
- Full page engineering design process posters
- Student journal with follow-up practice pages for each lesson
- Quick Check Quizzes/Exit Tickets in 2 formats for each lesson (short written response and fill in the blank)
- Final Assessment/Unit Test with optional pages for differentiation
- Answer keys for all resources
- Unit materials list
- Standards alignment pages
- Related read aloud book list
- Video links to support each lesson
- Bonus bulletin board set
- Lesson 1: What is Engineering?
- Lesson 2: The Engineering Design Process
- Lesson 3: Engineers Use Technology
- Lesson 4: Natural & Man-Made Materials
- Lesson 5: Biomimicry: Engineering Inspired by Nature
- Lesson 6: Designing Solutions
Lab Experiments/ Investigations
Students explore and explain the steps of the engineering design process, identify examples of biomimicry, create diagrams, build models, evaluate designs, and plan and build a solution to a real-world problem.
- Draw a Blueprint with Measurements
- Create a Design Manual
- Evaluate a Design
- Gather Data & Graph: Natural and Man-Made Materials
- Build a Model Featuring Biomimicry
- Design a Wildlife Crossing
Included Engineering Task Card Centers
- Reinforce science content as students practice math & literacy skills:
- Applying vocabulary
- Biomimicry Match
- Math & engineering word problems
Please see the preview for details and pictures of all resources included in this unit.
CLICK HERE for a list of materials needed to do the investigations & labs.
Additional 2nd grade science units:
3rd grade science units:
© Linda Kamp. This product may not be posted on a public website or shared Drive where others can download it. It may not be used on Outschool or any commercial teaching or tutoring platform. You may not translate or resell this resource.