This second grade habitats and ecosystems science unit is a comprehensive 3-week resource carefully designed with literally everything you need to teach NGSS and many state science standards all in one, in-depth resource.
This resource aligns to 2nd grade NGSS Interdependent Relationships in Ecosystems and 2-LS4-1, 2-LS4.D. It includes 15 days of highly engaging science lessons on these topics:
- Identifying Habitats & Ecosystems
- Exploring Land Habitats
- Adapting to Land Habitats
- Exploring Water Habitats
- Adapting to Water Habitats
- Comparing Habitat Diversity
- Habitat Interdependence
- Protecting Habitats
This unit is also available bundled with a digital version and narrated audio lessons CLICK HERE.
Students are engaged through 7 high-interest lessons in a vividly detailed teaching Power Point, science journal and center activities, partner discussion questions, and hands-on lab investigations for each lesson. Assessments are differentiated for each lesson and the final unit test. I’ve included an easy-prep unit binder with section dividers and tabs that makes it easier than ever to plan and teach an organized unit.
Aligned to both 2nd grade NGSS Interdependent Relationships in Ecosystems and CCSS, this flexible 3 week unit includes detailed, scripted science lesson plans and teacher’s notes with pictures for each lesson and lab. The unit can easily be shortened to 2 weeks depending on the number of labs you choose to do. A multitude of high quality science focus wall resources, posters, vocabulary and objective cards, science center activities and more support each lesson.
- Unit planning binder with dividers and tabs
- Teacher Guide with Unit Overview and Pacing Guide
- 7 Detailed, step-by-step, scripted lessons
- 7-Lesson Teaching Power Point with extension activity slides after each lesson.
- Guiding Questions, Learning Target posters, Lesson objective cards
- Student science journal with follow-up practice pages for each lesson
- Quick Check/Exit Tickets in 2 formats for each lesson (short written response or fill in the blank)
- Final Assessment with optional pages for differentiation
- Easy grade answer keys for all resources
- Related read aloud book list and video links media guide
Lab Experiments/ Investigations
Students explore micro-habitats, simulate adaptations, build models, and conduct investigations in the following labs:
- What Lives At School? Exploring Micro-habitats
- How Do Fish Breathe Underwater? Gill demonstration
- Build a Model Water Plant
- Design & Build a Land and Water Habitat on a Plate
- How Do Water Animals Stay Warm? Blubber Demonstration
- Comparing Habitat Diversity with simple models
Deserts, rainforests, deciduous, coniferous, and temperate forests, grasslands, tundras, oceans, tide pools, coral reefs, wetlands, swamps, marshes, rivers, and streams.
Students explore ecosystems, micro-habitats and urban habitats. They discover ways ecologists, engineers, and other scientists collaborate to protect and restore endangered habitats.
Included Science Centers
- Reinforce science content as students practice these math & literacy skills:
- Cause & Effect
- Sorting & Classifying
- Applying Vocabulary
- Math word problems using science content
Please see the preview for details and pictures of all resources included in this unit.
CLICK HERE for a list of materials needed to do the investigations & STEM labs.
Additional 2nd Grade Science Units:
2nd Grade DIGITAL Science Units with Audio Lessons:
Click HERE for 3rd grade science units.