This in-depth science unit on scientists, science processes, and the scientific method is the perfect way to introduce your second and third grade students to science and begin building a science foundation. Students learn the different areas of science, types of scientists and the processes they use, science tools, science safety, and planning and conducting experiments using the scientific method.
This unit is also available bundled with a digital version and narrated audio lessons. CLICK HERE
Your students will enjoy ten high-engagement lessons in a detailed teaching PowerPoint, science journal and center activities for each lesson. Three hands-on, high interest science experiments give students lab experience and build a foundation for your future science units.
Students experiment with buoyancy, solubility, and chemical reactions. These fun experiments give students practice using the scientific method and can also serve as a scaffold to students designing and conducting their own investigations with the included planning pages.
Scientists & the Scientific Method Lesson topics:
- types of scientists & jobs scientists do
- areas of science
- scientific processes
- investigating buoyancy
- investigating solubility
- investigating chemical reactions
- the scientific method
- science safety
- science tools
Aligned to both Next Generation Science Standards and Common Core State Standards this flexible unit can be taught over 8, 10, or 11 days depending on the number of experiments you choose to do. It includes a multitude of high quality resources, posters and a bonus bulletin board/science wall and can be used at the beginning of the year as an introduction to your science instruction or spread throughout the school year.
Included in the unit:
- A complete Teacher’s Guide with Unit Overview and Pacing Guide
- 10 detailed, step-by-step, scripted lesson plans
- 10-Lesson Teaching Power Point to guide you through the unit with Turn and Talk partner discussion and Independent Activity instructions for students after each lesson.
- Essential Question and Learning Target Posters
- Student science journal with activity pages for each lesson
- Quick Check/Exit Tickets in 2 formats for each lesson (short written response or fill in the blank)
- Final Assessment with optional pages for differentiation
- Design an Experiment planning pages
- Science center/Extension activities with student direction cards
- Anchor Charts with printable chart parts
- Vocabulary Cards for each lesson
- Science Tools picture cards
3 Engaging Science Experiments
- Buoyancy – The Great Cookie Dunk
- Solubility – Marker Madness
- Chemical reactions – Magic Paintbrush
Science Focus Wall Resources
- Science Safety posters
- Scientific Method posters
- Types of Science posters (Earth science, Life science, Physical science)
- Types of Scientists and the jobs they do
- Display Title Cards and Decorative science elements
Please see the preview for details and pictures of the materials included.
CLICK HERE for a list of materials needed to do the labs.
Around the Kampfire