Are you looking for ways to integrate math into your science studies? These butterfly life cycle graphing activities the perfect way to incorporate math as you study the butterfly life cycle! While raising live caterpillars to butterflies in your classroom, use these easy prep graphs, student pages, and task cards for students to collect data at each stage of the life cycle and organize it on bar graphs, pictographs, tally tables, and line plots.
Here’s How It Works: Students record the changes on their Observation Calendar then collect and organize their data on the Getting Ready to Graph page. Next, they transfer their data onto your class graphs with caterpillar, chrysalis, and butterfly cut-outs. Students compare and discuss their data with the Data Discussion Cards then apply their skills with the Read-A-Graph game.
Choose How You Use It: Use either (or all) of the bar graphs, pictographs, tally tables or line plots. Includes all the chart parts, printables, observation calendar, assessment, and activity cards you need for students to graph and discuss the different stages of the butterfly life cycle. No time to make charts? No worries! I’ve included projectable, blank charts for 4 types of graphs with each activity-12 projectable graphs in all. I’ve even included title lettering for a spring bulletin board display.
Butterfly Life Cycle Graphing Activities included:
- Observing the Changes calendar for data collection
- Getting Ready to Graph tally page
- Chart Parts to make 3 class graphs: Caterpillar to Chrysalis, Chrysalis to Butterfly, and How Many Times Did Your Caterpillar Molt?
- 12 projectable, blank graphs in color: 2 types of bar graphs, pictograph, tally table and line plot for each of the 3 graphing activities-Choose the type of graph you wish to use.
- Student response pages for all three graphs
- Data discussion cards for partner or small group discussion (color and blackline included)
- Read-A-Graph roam the room/task cards to apply skills or use to assess (color and blackline included)
- Bulletin board display title lettering
Please see the Preview for more details, pictures and to see how it works!
Around the Kampfire
You may also enjoy these complete science units and life cycle resources!