This third grade inherited traits science unit is a comprehensive science resource carefully designed with literally everything you need to teach NGSS and many state science standards for inherited traits, variation of traits, and patterns in life cycles all in one resource.
This unit is also available in a bundle with a digital version and narrated audio lessons CLICK HERE.
This 3rd grade science unit aligns to NGSS standards 3-LS1-1, 3-LS3-1, 3-LS3-2, 3-LS4-2. It includes 21 days of highly engaging science lessons on these topics:
- plant and animal life cycles
- patterns within life cycles
- Inherited traits of plants and animals
- variation of traits
- traits influenced by environment
- how to write a scientific explanation
Each ready to teach lesson comes with an instructional PowerPoint, detailed, scripted lesson plans, response journal activities, differentiated quizzes, hands-on investigations and simple lab activities that are actually do-able in your classroom. An optional lab observing the Tenebrio life cycle using live mealworms is also included.
The lessons also include vocabulary posters, guiding questions, and learning objectives display cards as well as related videos for each lesson. Literacy and math based science centers make it easy to integrate science and reinforce the lessons during other subjects.
Assessments are easy to differentiate using one of two quiz formats: the fill in the blank option or the short, written response format. At the end of the unit students are assessed with a comprehensive unit test.
Inherited traits resources included
- A complete Teacher’s Guide with a 21-day Pacing Guide that can be shortened to fit your schedule
- Standards alignment pages for each lesson
- Teacher planning binder with cover and sections
- 21 Days of detailed, scripted lesson plans.
- 6 Hands-on investigations with guided lab procedures and step-by-step directions with photos.
- Tenebrio (mealworm) life cycle project with observation journal
- An in-depth Teaching Power Point with embedded videos and interactive, moveable diagrams
- Essential questions posters and learning target cards
- Student journal/workbook
- Vocabulary cards + full page vocabulary posters
- Quizzes for each lesson in 2 formats (short written response or fill in the blank) with answer keys
- Final Unit Test & Answer Key
- 4 Literacy and math-based science centers
- Videos for each lesson
- BONUS Inherited Traits bulletin board set
*Please download the preview for details and pictures of everything included.
Additional third grade science units in this series:
Click HERE for second grade science units.