Captivate your students with the story of Stellaluna, by Janell Cannon! These Stellaluna activities make up a delightful book study with hands-on and highly engaging activities that your students will love. This resource includes both printable and digital versions plus detailed lesson plans for ten reading comprehension and language arts lessons.
Skill lessons include vocabulary, word work, grammar, and writing. These high engagement lessons are beautifully presented in two teaching Power Points and two Google Slides presentations. Literacy centers, assessments, and a culminating foldable Stellaluna booklet are also included.
I’ve added links to a wonderful read aloud of the story on StorylineOnline that is perfect to use if you don’t have the book.
There are 5 comprehension lessons and 5 skill lessons in two slide presentations that address RL.2, RL.3, RL.6 and RL.7 for first, second, and third grade. Students compare points of view, understand a character based on how she responds to major events, determine how a character changes as a result of her challenges, and learn to write a summary using a summarizing strategy. Students also work with sequencing story events, vocabulary in context, and character traits.
Each comprehension lesson includes Turn and Talk partner questions and a Write About It component. Three of the lessons also include interactive class anchor charts and whole group activities. Digital, interactive versions of the class charts are included. After each lesson, students either use the digital response activities, or respond in writing in mini books that are added to the culminating, foldable Stellaluna booklet or used as standalone activities if you don’t wish to make the booklet. The booklet is a printable project only, templates are not included in digital form.
The unit also includes 5 high engagement literacy centers that can also be used as extension activities. Students work with the two sounds of C, reading fluency, story elements, nouns & pronouns, sequencing, and vocabulary.
This book study is the perfect addition to your nocturnal animals units and pairs well with nonfiction books about bats and owls. The final Stellaluna booklets make a beautiful Fall hallway display to showcase your students’ learning. Bulletin board title lettering is also included.
Stellaluna Activities Included:
- 2 Teaching Power Points & Google Slide presentations with 5 comprehension lessons and 5 skill lessons
- 5-day scripted lesson plans with option to extend to 10 days
- 8 digital practice activities
- 3 Interactive class anchor charts with chart parts
- CCSS Standards alignment page for Grades 1-3 with differentiated activities & booklet templates to address student needs and target specific standards
- Assessments for comprehension and vocabulary
- Large vocabulary cards
- Teacher’s notes for each activity
- 11 Print and digital literacy centers
- Links to a read aloud video on Storyline Online (also available on YouTube)
Comprehension Lesson Topics
Lesson 1: How Does Stellaluna Respond?
Understanding a character by how she responds to major events and challenges
Lesson 2: How Does Stellaluna Change?
Determining how the character changes as a result of her challenges
Lesson 3: Comparing Points of View
Comparing the differing points of view of the characters plus class anchor chart activity
Lesson 4: Summarizing a Story
Identifying and summarizing the main points and important details in a story using a summarizing strategy
Lesson 5: Asking Questions
Skills Lesson Topics
The following mini lessons include teaching slides and digital student activities:
- Comprehension Questions in short response and multiple choice
- Story Vocabulary
- Sequencing Events
- Reading Passage to apply vocabulary
- Fact & Opinion
- Two Sounds of C
- Nouns & Pronouns
Printable Literacy Centers & Skills
Each center includes a student direction card, recording page and both color and blackline versions.
- Vocabulary word/definition match activity
- Book Talk-Story elements spinner and partner discussion cards for character, setting, problem/solution, illustrations, and plot
- Fluency Sticks-Students practice reading passages and dialogue (in various character’s voices) with character sticks.
- Sequencing Story Events- Cut and paste page
- Two Sounds of C word card sort
Stellaluna Foldable Booklet
Writing topics include:
- Summarizing the story
- Describing how Stellaluna responds to major events and challenges
- Identifying how Stellaluna changes during the story
- Comparing points of view
- Ask the author
- Differentiate easily and customize your booklets with these additional templates:
- Story vocabulary
- Story sequencing
- Assembly directions with photos
Bulletin Board Display
Title lettering for ‘Stellaluna”, Shades of Fall”, and “Shades of Autumn”
Please download the preview to see details and photos.
This is a wonderful unit to accompany a delightful book. I know your students will love it as much as mine do!
Around the Kampfire
You may also enjoy these book studies:
You may also like these additional best-selling book activities: